With our busy work lives and packed schedules, everyone needs a holiday to unwind. One needs to relax the mind to get rejuvenated and back to fighting shape. While relaxation is the objective, travelling includes changing climates, new places and a change in diet. Some of us do not adapt to new places very easily and can fall sick immediately as we reach our destination – which ruins the purpose of the trip. Even during one’s journey to and from the destination, one can often fall sick in the airplane or train environment.
What we do not realize though is that we can avoid small issues like constipation, fatigue and motion sickness by simple Ayurvedic hacks so that we enjoy our holiday hassle free. Here are some simple Ayurvedic tips for your next holiday:
- Eat natural foods: Any place we visit, we do love trying the local delicacies. While this can be followed, one must as much processed food as possible. While travelling, because of the constant movement, the Vata element of Space and Air dries up in our body and we get digestive ailments. Consuming processed or non-fresh food only aggravates this. Eating fruits, vegetables and dry fruits that are easy to digest will not lead to these problems. Foods which can be easy to carry are grapes, apples, mangos, oranges, dry fruits such as walnuts and pecans and vegetables such as capsicum, cauliflower and carrots.
- Herbal teas: While travelling, staying hydrated is a must. Sipping on herbal teas such as ginger, cardamom or other with local herbs will ensure smooth digestion. Just having warm water is also good enough but most importantly at regular intervals. Cold water can be avoided as it slows down digestion.
- Avoid the airplane food: While travelling by air, it is always better to get food packed from home rather than eating the airplane meal. Airplane food is packed some time long before the flight and is kept dried. This further aggravates the dryness in our body and causes digestion problems while travelling.
- ENT Tips: Travelling by air changes pressure on our ears. It is advisable to massage the base of our ears to keep the blood flow constant. The pressure can get to the sinus also, so deep breathing at regular intervals is a good exercise.
- Essential items: In our travel kit, a few small items can make a big change in our trip. We must always have medicine for cold, cough, immunity and digestion is a must! At Dr. Vaidya’s we have products that work on these ailments specifically and can form a convenient Ayurvedic travel kit. For cold and cough we have a powder called `Shardi Powder and a syrup called Herbokof that go together and cause instant relief. We have our own herbal oil and shampoo called HerboCool and Herbi Shampoo because one never knows whether the products available at the hotel would be the right ones.. For digestion, we have Kabaj Pills for constipation and Grahyavati for loose motions. In new conditions, the food may not suit one’s body and thus, keeping Amlapittavati for hyperacidity is also a great addition.
Adopting these methods can make our travels become much more comfortable, light and hassle- free. Follow these Ayurvedic tips for a super holiday!
Authored by: Binoy Shah, Marketing Executive