Almost all of us have been the target of cold and cough, especially during a change in weather. In Indian cities we constantly hear the phrase, “there’s a bug going around”. This season, don’t sit in the long queues at clinics, and cure your cough at home itself! Read on to find out the 5 really cool and simple Ayurvedic home remedies to ‘fight the bug’ get you back to fighting shape.
- Inhale turmeric smoke! : As children, we have all consumed turmeric either with milk or honey for throat relief. However, here’s a new convenient way to use this product for almost instant relief. Inhaling the smoke of burning turmeric called the dhoomapaanan effective solution to cough and cold. Take a dried turmeric root; dip half of it in castor oil for 10-15 minutes. Then hold the dry end and ignite the soaked end. Put off the fire right away. The emission of smoke will start that can be used as a natural inhaler. This turmeric smoke directly helps in reducing nasal congestion and can also be used to cure headaches due to sinus. If this is too difficult – add turmeric to a facial sauna and inhale!
- Love the taste of garlic? Use it as a cure – Garlic is one of the best natural ways to get rid of a cough and cold because of its anti- viral properties:The method is fairly simple. Crush 4-5 cloves of it, sauté with a spoon of warmed pure ghee and have the mixture with with your meals. This would not only give you an instant soothing feel but also unclog the mucus by making it thinner.
- The onion remedy: Do you know that the onions you eat as a salad can be the perfect cure for cold? All you have to do is combine 1 teaspoonful of raw onion juice with 1 teaspoonful of honey. Let it stand for 3-4 hours. Take this syrup thrice a day. Drinking warm onion broth is also a magic potion for dry cough. The reason behind this magic is that onions contain healing sulfur which makes them a staple in chronic cough remedies.
- Evergreen tulsi everytime: Sometimes, getting a cold and cough can mentally and physically exhaust us. Tulsi, a natural refreshant, has various properties to help curing the flu. The simple procedure is to mix about 8-10 leaves of tulsi with a ginger extract and a honey. A teaspoon of this preparation thrice a day will give you a good relief from cough. Ginger helps in relieving the congestion in the tonsils and act as natural analgesics. For ginger tea, as we have heard very often from our elders as the best way to cure a cough, add tulsi leaves, pepper powder and ginger to boiling water.
- Go for honey and pepper duo: Ever heard that your irritating cough and chest congestion could be cured by black pepper? YES, it can be. Black pepper contains several anti- bacterial properties providing relief from nasal and chest congestion. Mixing the pepper with honey would improve the taste. Mix the freshly ground black pepper with honey in a mug and add boiling water. Let the ingredients infuse for about 10 minutes and then consume it. You can repeat this once or twice a day based on the severity of your flu.
So what are you waiting for? Try these home remedies and stay healthy this season!
If these aren’t your cup of tea, at Dr. Vaidya’s, our mixture of HERBOkof and HERBOKOLD has proven very effective. Mix one tablespoon of the powder with one tablespoon of the syrup and take it three times a day. Ingredients such as Jyesthimadhu, Bans Kapur and Khadi Shakkar are time tested Ayurvedic dravyas that will bring the body back to fighting shape. Click here to buy our cold and cough pack
You can always visit our clinic for any other tips or knowledge regarding any health, nutrition or fitness aspect. Consultation with our expert Ayurvedic doctor, Dr. (Mrs.) Surya Bhagwati (BAMS, DHA, DHHCM, and DHBTC) is completely free of charge.
Our flagship ayurvedic clinic is a tribute to our founder, Dr. Natoobhai Vaidya. His legacy continues to inspire us to serve our patients with utmost dedication. We have followed in his footsteps by catering to his loyal patrons by charging no consulting fee. Our clinic has been designed to be the first among the best Ayurvedic clinics in Mumbai by focusing on providing superior quality products and exceptional customer service. Today, our patrons have the choice to touch, feel and experience our entire product range even before consulting the doctor.
Authored by: Dr. (Mrs.) Surya Bhagwati (BAMS, DHA, DHHCM, and DHBTC), 25+ years experience in Ayurveda